Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Know I am Not that Old but this "Old Dog" is Not Liking New Tricks

So today we had the opportunity to use iMovie 9 for our Final Project in Emerging Instructional Technologies. Okay, it is no secret that I am a PC person. I did use Apple's growing up in high school but when I arrived at the great University of Northern Iowa as a freshman, the closet computer lab was full of Dell computers. I quickly learned how easy it was to do my assignments on the Dells, which being a business education major was a good thing. So I was greatly delighted that when I got my teaching position, my room was full of PC's!! I quickly learned all the great applications that PC's has to offer for the classroom and went to town on using these in my classroom.

So today when I was working on iMovie, at times I got a little frustrated. The two and a half hours it took me to complete my iMovie, I know would have only taken me an hour on MovieMaker. And then I started to think about my students. Everyday I ask them to do something new whether it be to learn a new subject, a new technology tool, or work with someone that they would never have worked with. Do they get frustrated at me at times? Yes. Do I ask them to have an open mind? Yes. So even though it pains me to say this, I need to have an open mind when using Apples. Thankfully, Chelsey found some great tools on how to use iMovie on her blog post, Mac=Frustrating. At least I am not the only one that feels this way!!

It is hard to believe that tomorrow is Friday!! Looking forward to everyone's final project!!

3 comments:

  1. Amen to that, Stacy! Some people say that Macs are more intuitive, but it seems just the opposite to me. I suppose that's the way Mac users feel about Windows PCs, though, so I'll need to be more understanding of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't help that the mouse is so different on the Mac. I plugged my PC mouse into one of the Macs today, and that really helped me pick up the pace on GarageBand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mouse is driving me nuts!!! I keep wanting to right click. The keyboard barely exists for me on a PC so have to use all the open apple commands is tiring. But, like you said, we all need to learn new tricks!! :)

    ReplyDelete