Friday, May 28, 2010

School's Out for Summer (Everyone Join In...or Maybe Not Yet)

Yes, it is true. I am officially done with school (well other than organizing my room)!! We were finished with students on Wednesday and today was our check out day!!! It is nice to have a three day weekend and know I don't have to come back to work on Tuesday. Those that get too, keep hanging in there; it is almost the end!!

I did have a great technology finding today for business teachers. It is one that has made me very excited so I just wanted to share it to all those out there reading my blog. I get the opportunity to get new accounting books this year and found out that they are now putting our working papers online!!! I am sure that this has been around for awhile but I never paid attention since I didn't need new books yet. This makes me very excited for several reasons:

1) It is nice to see the textbook company seeing the importance of technology and realizing that teachers are trying to incorporate more technology in their classrooms.
2) The students still have to do the work but now instead of writing it on paper, they get to enter it in the computer.
3) Once the students input their information, the computer grades them right away and they get to see right away what they did right!!

I am really looking forward to this and am thinking of ways that I can use the wikis, blogs, etc. that we have used in this class to have discussions about accounting concepts we learn in class. Oh the possibilities we have with technology!!

For the other business teachers out there, here is the website if you are interested in the online working papers: www.aplia.com/workingpapers. The book I am looking at is through South-Western Cengage Learning: First Year Multicolumn Journal. Is anyone else currently using this or know of someone who is??

Enjoy your holiday weekend!!
Stacy Marcus

photo: http://www.cengage.com/cengage/imageservlet?productISBN=9780538447058

3 comments:

  1. How awesome for you!!! That will be a neat experience. I just wish I had the oportunity to order new texts, software, etc. Budget crunches are not fun:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you found the book you need.

    You and Joni may need to implement some R/W/L/Ds in your classes so that you can update the learning material.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on school being out. I'm sure it'll be nice to have a bit of down time this summer. As for textbook publishers, it's definitely a pivotal moment for the industry. They can either move with the current or be left in the dust so it's definitely a smart move on their part. It almost reminds me of Kodak being one of the last to make the move to digital photography; it took them years to catch up with the trends setters in an industry that they have previously dominated.

    ReplyDelete