Sunday, May 23, 2010

VoiceThread: Getting the Community Involved

First of all, I would like to apologize for rambling on with my comments on VoiceThread. You get on there, start commenting, and it gets hard to stop. I hope I didn't jump back and forth between comments too much. I notice that I get a little nervous seeing myself talk on the computer. =-)


I can see VoiceThread being a great way to not only collaborate in the classroom but also between classrooms, in the school and outside of the school. After watching the video and reading the chapters in the book, I have really started to think about how much I am really getting my students prepared for their future. Are they getting the 21st Century Skills (21st Century skills website) that they need in my classroom? Am I helping them use technological resources in the best way to prepare them for their future?


One recurring theme that keeps grabbing my attention is how we need to incorporate our communities more into the classroom. VoiceThread could be a great way to get others outside of the school involved. The students create a VoiceThread and then could get real experts to give them advice on what they created. For example, in my advertising class, my students could create an ad, post it on VoiceThread, and then we could see if we could get an advertiser to critique it. Oh the possibilities!!!


The only concern I have is will our schools be able to keep up with the technology that our students need to be successful. We have four computer labs for our K-12 building that are being used about every class period. With budget cuts, it seems like one of the first things they look at is if they really need to update the technology. Also, how do we provide for the students who may not have the technology needed at home?


Well, I better get back to the series finale of Lost!!! Anyone else Lost fans?? I am kind of sad to see it be done but kind of happy as well. Now I won't have to dwell on my questions I have each week.


PS- Is anyone else having trouble loading pictures on your blog? I can't seem to get them uploaded.

2 comments:

  1. OK...first things first. I loved the ending of Lost. I thought it was thought-provoking. Secondly, I wish I could hear your comments. I can't get access to others' comments!! I also love all the possibilities presented by voice thread. Cool idea about involving the "real" world with class projects. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say I never got hooked on Lost. . .
    I like your thoughts about getting the community involved with VoiceThread. What a wonderful, real-world experience to have real advertisers critique a student's ad. I don't have much to say about your concerns of schools not keeping up with technology and what to do about students who do not have this access. Universal concerns at this point, I guess.

    ReplyDelete