Sunday, May 23, 2010

Adobe Connect: Fun but a Little Frustrating

Last Monday night, I had the opportunity to come face-to-face with many of the participants of my Emerging Instructional Technologies class using Adobe Connect. Other than using the webcam feature with Instant Messenger to talk to my 1 1/2 year old niece, I have never used face-to-face communication before. I liked being able to put a name with a face but to be able to have that face-to-face communication while we talked. It would be neat to use this in my business classroom to get my students to talk to business professionals who would be willing. I would say at times I got a little frustrated because of the delay and you couldn't "chime in" whenever you wanted. The group would move on to another question before you may have had the chance to give your thoughts. For this reason, I liked it better with a bigger group to just type. Then you can follow along and put in your two cents easier.

As mentioned above, I would like to start using face-to-face communication in my classes. However, I have talked to my tech instructor about this and he is concerned that it would pull too much bandwidth from our server and it would slow everybody else down. Our teachers do a nice job of using technology in their classroom so our computer labs are often full. Has anyone used Skype, Adobe Connect, etc. in their classrooms? If so, how has it affected your server and is it choppy at all?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you liked using Adobe Connect. Yes, the voice latency was a bit frustrating. We were taxing it to it's limits.

    I Like how you have placed the blogs you are following in the right hand column. Notice how you can arrange them by the most recently posted at the top?

    Glad to see that you are talking with your Tech instructor at school but I wold suggest that you don't worry too much about slowing down the network. Forge Ahead!!!

    REMEMBER EVERYONE "It is MUCH easier to ask forgiveness than permission!"

    I use Skype a lot. You can see what I do in my blog at http://tinyurl.com/26v6b5b

    BTW It expands your postings if you include live links to tools and resources that you mention in your blog.

    ReplyDelete